Friday, January 27, 2012

1927-1931 Chevrolet 5 Window Coupe Build Project


So what seems like a decade ago while we were living in Oregon, I bought a 1931 Chevy 5 window coupe on ebay from a guy in Minot, ND and while we were there my in-laws and I scrounged up this 1927 Chevy Truck, I mainly wanted the frame which I found later to be more work than it was worth but I parted it out and made all my investment back.
Total basket case
Here are both of the cars loaded up and parked at the border of Montana and Idaho
Prior to starting the build on this car I read books and educated myself on how to approach it for years.  No matter how much you prepare, it never goes as planned.

So I started stripping the 27' truck on the trailer and selling off the parts to guys that restore.



I came to find out from some guys I met in a car club the the truck was a 27' but at some point someone had replaced the engine with a 28' because they were a sealed oil system and more power.

I drug it into the back yard and that is where I pulled the engine out.  I sold the engine to the guys in the car club the "Westside Cruisers".  I ground and pounded rivets out of the frame for a couple days.
Here the frame is stripped down and ready to get sandblasted.  With the exception of the steering column still installed.