Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Whippet Progress

So I was able to let the flathead go through a heat cycle so I could re-torque the head studs.  It's got a bit of blowby.  It needs to have a rebuild in the near future.  I will just baby it for the summer and maybe go through it next winter, otherwise it runs great.  Oil pressure stays at about 5 psi at idle and goes up to 20 at higher rpm.  Flatheads are known to have low pressure.  The temp stayed right around 180 so that was good. 

The V-man was digging the progress

I took a headlight bar I had and butchered it to fit.  It turned out pretty good, I just mounted it to the F-1 Shock Mounts.  The Headlights are a pair of 30-31 Ford Model A's with a sealed beam conversion.

I finally figured out that on a positive ground electrical system you need to positive ground your electric fuel pump as well.

For the shifter linkage I picked up some solid round bar.  I heated the ends of the two pieces I cut and bent them at 90 degrees.  This end goes through the hole on the shifter.

I then just strong armed the bars with a pipe bender to the shape they needed to clear each other and to smoothly shift through the gears.  Then I just drilled holes through the bars and slid them over the transmission shift levers.

I finally found a use for the vintage Hamms can I had laying around.  It's now the radiator overflow container.

I finished up the dash with the guages, switches and an ash tray for a smoking habit I don't have...I just thought it looked cool.
I also got the front toe board installed.